These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Aunt Holly's Summer Squash Casserole
From Walton County, GA
<p>This recipe is a family favorite, & it is always a big hit at family reunions, church functions, & on holidays! You will need 7-8 medium sized yellow summer squash. Wash the squash & cut off ends. Slice the squash into thin slices. Take one large onion (preferably Vidalia, but any onion will do) peel & slice, then cut each slice into 4ths. Place squash & onion slices into boiling water & boil about 10 minutes. While squash & onions are boiling mix other ingredients in large bowl.<br /> Mix 1 can Cream of Chicken Mushroom Soup<br /> 1 cup Sour Cream<br /> 2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese<br /> 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers.<br /> Stir all ingredients together in large mixing bowl.<br /> Once squash & onions have finished boiling remove from stove & drain. Add squash & onions to other ingredients in bowl & stir together gently. Prepare a 9 × 13 glass casserole dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray and lining the bottom with crushed Ritz crackers. Pour the other ingredients into the casserole dish and smooth. Cover top of casserole with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling on top.</p>Source: Holly Prather (Entered by Holly Prather)
Serves: Makes about 12 servings.
1 12 oz can Cream of Chicken Mushroom Soup
1 cup Sour Cream
2 cups Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers
7-8 Medium Yellow Summer Squash
1 Large Vidalia or yellow onion
Step by Step Instructions
- Stir together Cream of Chicken Mushroom Soup, Sour Cream, 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, & one cup crushed Ritz crackers in large mixing bowl.
- Slice squash into thin slices. Peel onion & slice & then cut each slice into 4ths. Place squash & onion in boiling water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain squash and onions and pour into other ingredients in mixing bowl. Gently mix all ingredients together.
- Grease 9 x 13 glass casserole dish & line bottom with crushed Ritz crackers. Pour other ingredients into dish & smooth top. Sprinkle top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cheese is melted & bubbling on top.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings